|Friday, 27 July 2012 18:19|
Chester, New Jersey, July 2012— Do you know your mustard? At the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, French’s® Mustard introduced its Classic Yellow Mustard. Since then, cookouts have never been the same. While mustard remains the most popular condiment for smearing on hot dogs, it’s a secret cooking ingredient that many home chefs are just now starting to share.
On August 4th, for National Mustard Day, celebrate by using a bit of French’s to add more flavor to your favorite everyday recipes, or the recipes provided at the end of this article. Whether you prefer Classic Yellow, Spicy Brown, Dijon, Horseradish, Honey or Honey Dijon, there’s a flavor that will take your family favorite recipe from ordinary to extraordinary.
Did you know there’s even a National Mustard Museum in Middleton, Wisconsin? This year’s visitors can expect a fun-filled day for the entire family when National Mustard Day 2012 kicks off at 10 a.m. with free hot dogs, live music, games, mustard samples and more. Festivities continue all day until 4 p.m.
“While most of us recognize mustard for its popularity as a condiment used on hot dogs, burgers and sandwiches, mustard is about so much more,” says Barry Levenson, Curator at the National Mustard Museum. “It’s the versatility of French’s mustard that also makes it ideal for adding a boost of flavor to everyday recipes.”
If you can’t make it to National Mustard Day, you can celebrate it from afar with these great summer recipes. For more, log onto www.frenchsfoods.com.
BEEF KABOBS WITH DIJON STEAK DRESSING
Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 10 mins
¾ cup FRENCH'S® Dijon Mustard
¼ cup olive oil plus additional for skewers
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp. FRENCH'S® Extra Tenderizing™ Worcestershire Sauce
12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
2 lb. boneless sirloin steak, cut into 1-in. cubes; season to taste with salt and pepper
2 large red bell peppers, cut into chunks
2 large red onions, cut into chunks
1. WHISK mustard, 1/4 cup oil, honey and Worcestershire in bowl; set aside.
2. THREAD 4 steak cubes, 4 bell pepper chunks and 3 red onion chunks on each skewer. Brush steak skewers lightly with olive oil.
3. GRILL kabobs over medium-heat for 10 min. or until desired doneness, turning frequently.
4. DRIZZLE kabobs with Dijon sauce and serve extra on the side.
Makes 6 servings, 2 skewers each
SUPER JUICY MUSTARD RUBBED MONTREAL SPICED GRILLED CHICKEN
A simple, classic BBQ technique that yields a moist, flavorful chicken with a subtle flavor of mustard
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 20 mins
3lbs fryer chicken, cut into 8 pcs
½ cup FRENCH’S® Classic Yellow® Mustard
3 Tsp McCormick® Grill Mates® Montreal Spice
1. PREHEAT grill to medium heat
2. PLACE chicken pieces on large plate and coat both sides with FRENCH’S® Classic Yellow® Mustard. Sprinkle Montreal Spice on.
3. GRILL over medium heat for 20 minutes till juices run clear or 160F internal.
Makes 4-6 servings
TIP- works great on ribs, brisket and pork shoulder to protect and tenderize over low and slow barbecueing
EASY CHEESY MAC & CHEESE
Prep Time:10 mins Cook Time:35 mins
8 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni (4 cups cooked)
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can CAMPBELL’S® Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 ½ cups milk
2 to 3 tbsp. FRENCH’S® Classic Yellow® Mustard
3 cups (12 oz.) shredded American or Cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. butter, cut into pieces
1. COOK macaroni according to package directions using shortest cooking time. Drain and place into greased 2-qt. baking dish.
2. MIX soup, milk and mustard. Pour over pasta and stir in 2 cups cheese. Top with butter.
3. BAKE at 350°F for 30 min. or until hot and bubbly. Stir. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 5 min. until cheese melts.
Makes 6 servings
Variation: substitute other types of shredded cheese such as Jack, Mexican blend or sharp Cheddar.
SALMON WITH DIJON SAUCE
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 15 mins
4 (6 oz.) salmon fillets
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup FRENCH’S® Dijon Mustard
3 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1tsp. minced garlic
1. SEASON salmon with salt and pepper. Place into greased baking dish, skin side down.
2. MIX remaining ingredients. Reserve 1/3 cup sauce. Spread remaining sauce over salmon pieces.
3. BAKE salmon at 400°F for 10 to 15 min. until salmon is cooked through. Serve with the reserved mustard sauce.
Makes 4 servings
SOURCE: frenchfoods.com and French’s Mustard